Wednesday, January 4, 2017

My favorite green smoothie



During a trip to Maui last spring, Nick and I wanted to skip the indulgent hotel buffet and save our calories for Mama's Fish House. We discovered a smoothie stand run by a woman named Sophia. She made us amazing green smoothies every morning and I asked her for the recipe when we left. I tweaked it a bit when I got home and now I make this smoothie at least once a week.

The recipe calls for spirulina, a freshwater algae powder you can find at most natural grocery stores. It's a superfood packed with plant protein and vitamins like iron, calcium and magnesium. Some people say it has a strong taste, but I don't notice it much in this smoothie aside from the vibrant green color it gives the drink.

Sophia's Green Power Smoothie 
Servings: 1 

1/2 cup almond milk 
1 teaspoon spirulina powder
1/2 scoop vanilla or unflavored protein powder (optional)
1 tablespoon flax meal 
1 heaping tablespoon peanut butter 
1 heaping tablespoon coconut flakes  
1 handful of spinach or kale 
1 banana 
1 handful ice 

Blend all ingredients together until smooth. I like to put everything in the blender in the order I've listed. It's a thick smoothie so putting the liquid and powders in first helps get things moving and ensures the powders don't clump up. Sometimes I need to add more almond milk or water on top if it's too thick to blend. 





No comments:

Post a Comment